When you buy a home, whether it’s a luxury home for sale in Aspen, a ranch in Basalt, or a condo for sale in Snowmass, you’ll have to pay for some form of title insurance—but it’s important that you know the differences between a lender’s title insurance policy and a homeowner’s title insurance policy.
What is Title Insurance?
Title insurance protects the insured from defects in a home’s title that can affect that person’s ownership in the property.
There are two types of policies available: A lender’s policy and a homeowner’s policy.
Lender’s Title Insurance Policies
The lender’s title insurance, which you’ll be required to buy when you purchase your home, only protects the lender—not you. The amount of the policy is typically based on the dollar amount of your loan, and it saves the lender from a loss if a title problem surfaces after the purchase is complete.
Owner’s Title Insurance Policies
A homeowner’s title insurance policy is typically issued for the value of the home. Usually, you’ll pay a one-time fee at closing, and the insurance will cover you as long as you (or your heirs) maintain an interest in the property.
This type of policy will protect you if a title problem surfaces that allows someone to challenge your ownership of your home. Some policies also pay legal fees that homeowner’s incur while defending a claim to a title.
Are You Buying a Home in Aspen or the Surrounding Communities?
We’d love to help you find your dream home here. Call us at 970-429-8275 or contact us online to let us know what you’re looking for so we can start searching right away.
While you’re here you can also browse our:
- Aspen real estate listings
- Basalt real estate listings
- Carbondale real estate listings
- Snowmass real estate listings
- Woody Creek real estate listings
Search Aspen Real Estate Listings by Price
- Aspen homes for sale between $200k and $300k
- Aspen homes for sale between $300k and $400k
- Aspen homes for sale between $400k and $500k
- Aspen homes for sale between $500k and $600k
- Aspen homes for sale between $600k and $700k
- Aspen homes for sale between $700k and $800k
- Aspen homes for sale between $800k and $900k
- Aspen homes for sale between $900k and $1 million
- Aspen homes for sale between over $1 million