While you have the chance to waive your right to an inspection, it’s never a good idea to do so. In fact, waiving your right to an inspection could end up spelling disaster. Your Aspen Realtor® will make sure you understand how necessary an inspection is, but in the meantime, here’s what you need to know about what inspectors do.
What Does a Home Inspector Do?
A home inspector’s job isn’t to get you to buy a property (or to advise you not to buy a property). Instead, his or her job is to make sure the property is where it’s supposed to be.
A home inspector looks at several key components in a home—even a brand-new home—to make sure everything’s up to code, determine what condition it’s in, and figure out whether problems are on the horizon. Your inspector will look at:
- The home’s exterior grounds to check for puddles, bad grading, or poor downspouts
- The house’s structure to make sure the foundation is solid and everything lines up correctly
- The roof, to ensure it’s in good repair, by checking the shingles, flashing, and fascia
- Windows, doors, and trim to make sure everything works the way it’s supposed to
- Each interior room to check for leaning walls, stained ceilings, and poor insulation
- The kitchen to ensure fans vent properly, that GFCI protection is in place for outlets near the sink, and that faucets aren’t leaking
- Bathrooms to check toilets, sinks, drains, showers, and tubs
- Plumbing to make sure the pipes and water heaters are in good working order, as well as check on water pressure, drains, and water temperatures
- Electrical systems to make sure everything visible falls under the appropriate regulations
There are actually more than 2,000 things on a home inspector’s checklist, which means there’s quite a bit more than we can write about here.
Are You Buying a Home in Aspen or the Surrounding Communities?
We’d love to help you find your dream home here. Call us at 970-429-8275 or contact us online to let us know what you’re looking for so we can start searching right away.
While you’re here you can also browse our:
- Aspen real estate listings
- Basalt real estate listings
- Carbondale real estate listings
- Snowmass real estate listings
- Woody Creek real estate listings
Search Aspen Real Estate Listings by Price
- Aspen homes for sale between $200k and $300k
- Aspen homes for sale between $300k and $400k
- Aspen homes for sale between $400k and $500k
- Aspen homes for sale between $500k and $600k
- Aspen homes for sale between $600k and $700k
- Aspen homes for sale between $700k and $800k
- Aspen homes for sale between $800k and $900k
- Aspen homes for sale between $900k and $1 million
- Aspen homes for sale between over $1 million