When you’re buying a home for sale in Aspen or anywhere else, and you’re using a mortgage loan, your lender will most likely require you to get a home appraisal. Home appraisals can be a little bit confusing, though, so here’s what you need to know.
3 Things to Know About Home Appraisals
#1. What is an appraisal?
An appraisal is a professional estimate of a home’s value. It’s based on several factors, including:
- Recent sales of similar properties in the same area
#2. Who performs a home appraisal?
A home appraiser is a professional your lender chooses. You don’t get to pick your appraiser (although you do have to pay for it, but more on that later). Appraisers understand how to evaluate a property based on its location, amenities and condition, and how to compare it against similar properties. They also know how to evaluate a home based on intangible factors, like neighborhood growth, housing trends and current market conditions.
Search Aspen Homes for Sale Now
#3. Who pays for an appraisal?
While your lender chooses the appraiser, you have to pay for it. Usually, the buyer pays the fee along with closing costs, but you can sometimes choose to pay it up-front and save some cash on closing day.
The appraisal fee will be included in the documentation your lender gives you before closing.
Are You Selling a Home in Aspen?
If you’re ready to sell your home in Aspen, Woody Creek, Basalt, Carbondale or Snowmass, we may be able to help you.
Get in touch with us right now to find out how much your home is worth – and discover how we’ll be able to help you sell it quickly and for top dollar.
If you’re also looking for a home for sale in Aspen or a nearby community, check out our:
- Aspen homes for sale between $200k and $300k
- Aspen homes for sale between $300k and $400k
- Aspen homes for sale between $400k and $500k
- Aspen homes for sale between $500k and $600k
- Aspen homes for sale between $600k and $700k
- Aspen homes for sale between $700k and $800k
- Aspen homes for sale between $800k and $900k
- Aspen homes for sale between $900k and $1 million
- Aspen homes for sale over $1 million