When you buy a home for sale in Aspen, there’s a good chance you’ll be in a community that has a homeowners association, or HOA. You probably already know that HOAs have rules (called CC&Rs, or convenants, conditions and restrictions), but what are the most common?
Here’s what you need to know.
Common HOA Rules
All HOAs have a board made up of homeowners who live in the community. These people are elected, and they make the rules (and grant exceptions where necessary).
Some of the most common HOA rules include:
- Which paint colors you can use on the exterior of your home
- What colors your street-facing window treatments must be
- Minimum landscaping standards
- Types of fencing allowed in the community
- Limitations on the types and strengths of security lights you can put on your house
- Types of window treatments allowed
- Rules about what type of sports equipment (like basketball hoops) you can install
- Restrictions on vehicle storage
- Rules on property use
You should ask your real estate agent if you can review a community’s CC&Rs before you make an offer on a home – that way, you’ll know if the rules will be easy for you to live by after you move in.
Are You Selling or Buying a Home in Aspen?
If you’re ready to sell your home in Aspen, Woody Creek, Basalt, Carbondale or Snowmass, we may be able to help you.
Get in touch with us right now to find out how much your home is worth – and discover how we’ll be able to help you sell it quickly and for top dollar.
If you’re also looking for a home for sale in Aspen or a nearby community, check out our listings by price:
- $200k to $300k
- $300k to $400k
- $400k to $500k
- $500k to $600k
- $600k to $700k
- $700k to $800k
- $800k to $900k
- $900k to $1 million
- Over $1 million