Whether you’re buying a condo in Aspen or a luxury home in Woody Creek, you need to know that an inspection is absolutely vital to your deal.
While you have the chance to waive your right to an inspection, it’s never a good idea to do so. In fact, waiving your right to an inspection could end up spelling disaster. Your Aspen Realtor® will make sure you understand how necessary an inspection is, but in the meantime, here’s what you need to know about what inspectors do.
What Does a Home Inspector Do?
A home inspector’s job isn’t to get you to buy a property (or to advise you not to buy a property). Instead, his or her job is to make sure the property is where it’s supposed to be.
A home inspector looks at several key components in a home—even a brand-new home—to make sure everything’s up to code, determine what condition it’s in, and figure out whether problems are on the horizon. Your inspector will look at:
- The home’s exterior grounds to check for puddles, bad grading, or poor downspouts
- The house’s structure to make sure the foundation is solid and everything lines up correctly
- The roof, to ensure it’s in good repair, by checking the shingles, flashing, and fascia
- Windows, doors, and trim to make sure everything works the way it’s supposed to
- Each interior room to check for leaning walls, stained ceilings, and poor insulation
- The kitchen to ensure fans vent properly, that GFCI protection is in place for outlets near the sink, and that faucets aren’t leaking
- Bathrooms to check toilets, sinks, drains, showers, and tubs
- Plumbing to make sure the pipes and water heaters are in good working order, as well as check on water pressure, drains, and water temperatures
- Electrical systems to make sure everything visible falls under the appropriate regulations
There are actually more than 2,000 things on a home inspector’s checklist, which means there’s quite a bit more than we can write about here.
Are You Buying a Home in Aspen or the Surrounding Communities?
We’d love to help you find your dream home here. Call us at 970-429-8275 or contact us online to let us know what you’re looking for so we can start searching right away.
While you’re here you can also browse our:
- Aspen real estate listings
- Basalt real estate listings
- Carbondale real estate listings
- Snowmass real estate listings
- Woody Creek real estate listings
Search Aspen Real Estate Listings by Price
- Aspen homes for sale between $200k and $300k
- Aspen homes for sale between $300k and $400k
- Aspen homes for sale between $400k and $500k
- Aspen homes for sale between $500k and $600k
- Aspen homes for sale between $600k and $700k
- Aspen homes for sale between $700k and $800k
- Aspen homes for sale between $800k and $900k
- Aspen homes for sale between $900k and $1 million
- Aspen homes for sale between over $1 million