Aspen winters can be pretty rough – and it’s not unheard of for pipes to freeze.
So what do you do if your pipes freeze? Here’s how to tackle the issue.
What to Do if Your Pipes Freeze
First things first: When there’s no water coming out of the faucet, the first thing you should do is call a plumber. It’s a sign that you may have frozen pipes – especially in one of our famous cold snaps – but it could lead to even bigger trouble.
If you don’t want to call a plumber, you can try defrosting them yourself. Just be smart about it; if you need a plumber, call one, because the damage a burst pipe can do will end up costing you much more than a housecall from a plumber.
How to Defrost Your Pipes
Turn off the water at the main shut-off valve before you do anything. If you thaw a pipe that’s split, you’ll have a flood on your hands!
You can use a space heater near the frozen area on the pipe, but don’t try to prop it up anywhere – electricity and water don’t mix, so if it falls, you’ll have bigger problems. You can also use electrical heating tape, which may need to be plugged in, but never, ever use:
- A blowtorch
- A propane heater
- A charcoal stove
- Any other flammable device or substance
Are You Buying a Home in Aspen or the Surrounding Communities?
We’d love to help you find your dream home here. Call us at 970-429-8275 or contact us online to let us know what you’re looking for so we can start searching right away.
While you’re here you can also browse our:
- Aspen real estate listings
- Basalt real estate listings
- Carbondale real estate listings
- Snowmass real estate listings
- Woody Creek real estate listings
Search Aspen Real Estate Listings by Price
- Aspen homes for sale between $200k and $300k
- Aspen homes for sale between $300k and $400k
- Aspen homes for sale between $400k and $500k
- Aspen homes for sale between $500k and $600k
- Aspen homes for sale between $600k and $700k
- Aspen homes for sale between $700k and $800k
- Aspen homes for sale between $800k and $900k
- Aspen homes for sale between $900k and $1 million
- Aspen homes for sale over $1 million