Buying real estate can be a great long-term investment, whether you’re looking for a luxury home in Aspen, a ranch in Basalt, or a condo in Snowmass.
When you’re buying a property from a home builder, you might be tempted to skip hiring a buyer’s agent and work instead with the builder’s agent – but that can be a mistake.
Why You Need Your Own Agent
The seller’s agent is legally bound to honor the seller’s best interests, not yours. Even if you buy directly through the seller’s agent, he or she is obligated to work for the seller. You need your own agent – one who’s working in your best interests.
There are several other reasons to hire your own buyer’s agent, too, but the two biggest (aside from having someone in your corner) involve negotiations and closing.
Negotiations: Your Buyer’s Agent’s Specialty
One of the main reasons to hire a real estate agent when you are buying a home from a developer is that they will help with negotiations. When buying a property from a developer, there will be a lot of items to negotiate. This will include the standard purchase price and closing cost credits, but can also include negotiating discounts on home improvements and enhancements. Furthermore, if the home is part of a bigger project, the agent may know what concessions the builder has given away previously, which can give you leverage.
Having Your Buyer’s Agent With You at Closing
Another reason why you should hire an agent when buying from a builder is that they will be able to help with the closing process. When buying a home from the developer, your agent will be able to help ensure that all required work has been completed. This will be done by completing a brief check of the home to ensure that all work was completed as agreed.
Are You Buying a Home in Aspen or the Surrounding Communities?
We’d love to help you find your dream home here. Call us at 970-429-8275 or contact us online to let us know what you’re looking for so we can start searching right away.
While you’re here you can also browse our:
- Aspen real estate listings
- Basalt real estate listings
- Carbondale real estate listings
- Snowmass real estate listings
- Woody Creek real estate listings
Search Aspen Real Estate Listings by Price
- Aspen homes for sale between $200k and $300k
- Aspen homes for sale between $300k and $400k
- Aspen homes for sale between $400k and $500k
- Aspen homes for sale between $500k and $600k
- Aspen homes for sale between $600k and $700k
- Aspen homes for sale between $700k and $800k
- Aspen homes for sale between $800k and $900k
- Aspen homes for sale between $900k and $1 million
- Aspen homes for sale over $1 million