If you’re like most people buying a home for sale in Aspen, you’ve heard how important it is to get mortgage preapproval before you start house-hunting – but why?
Why You Need Mortgage Preapproval
When you want to buy a home, your first step is mortgage preapproval. When you have a preapproval letter, it serves two purposes. First, it tells you exactly how much house you can afford and gives you a price range to start looking in; second, it gives you the ability to make an offer quickly when you find a house you love.
Preapproval vs. Prequalification
Preapproval is different from prequalification. Preapproval requires you to submit documents that back up your claims about how much money you make, while prequalification is simply a letter from a lender that says, “If you make as much as you say you do, we’ll probably let you borrow the money.”
What You Need for Mortgage Preapproval
You’ll have to provide your lender with several documents for mortgage preapproval, including:
- Tax returns from the past two years. Your lender wants to make sure your reported annual income is accurate.
- Pay stubs. Your pay stubs will show your lender exactly how much you make in a month.
- Bank statements. Lenders want to see how much money you have put away for mortgage payments, as well as to see if your down payment is in there.
- Proof of other assets. If you’re using other assets to pay for your house, the bank will want to know about them.
- Gift letters, if you have them. If you received money from family or friends for a down payment, your lender will probably want letters saying that it was a gift and not a loan.
Are You Buying or Selling a Home in Aspen?
Call us at 970-429-8275 or get in touch with us online to tell us what you want from your next home. We’ll begin searching Aspen real estate listings right away. If you’re selling, get your free Aspen real estate market update and find out how we can help you sell your home quickly and at the best price.
While you’re here, you can also browse based on your budget:
- 200k – 300k
- 300k – 400k
- 400k – 500k
- 500k – 600k
- 600k – 700k
- 700k – 800k
- 800k – 900k
- 900k – 1 million
- Over 1 million