If you’re buying a home for sale in Aspen, Basalt, Carbondale, Snowmass or Woody Creek, you’ll probably see at least a handful of listings that say “motivated seller.” (Read What Does “Motivated Seller” Mean? for more information.)
Like any real estate transaction, there’s a good chance that if you love the house, other people love the house, too. But when you’re working with a motivated seller, here’s how you can give yourself an edge over the other bidders.
3 Tips for Buying a Home From a Motivated Seller
- Be flexible on the closing date
- Offer a big earnest money deposit
- Pay your own closing costs
Be Flexible on the Closing Date
If you can be flexible on the closing date, by all means, give that to the seller. Sometimes the seller has a very specific timeline, and it could work in your favor if yours is the only offer that includes that flexibility.
Offer a Big Earnest Money Deposit
It’s pretty standard to come up with between 2 and 5 percent of a home’s sales price for an earnest money deposit. The higher yours is, the more likely the buyer is to realize you’re completely serious about your offer. Try to be on the high end of that standard spectrum – or higher.
Search for Aspen Real Estate Listings Now
Pay Your Own Closing Costs
A lot of buyers ask sellers to pay their closing costs, but if you pay your own, you’re leaving the seller with more money in his or her pocket. That’s a tough deal to pass up.
Are You Buying a Home in Aspen or the Surrounding Communities?
We’d love to help you find your dream home here. Call us at 970-429-8275 or contact us online to let us know what you’re looking for so we can start searching right away.
Search Aspen Real Estate Listings by Price
- Aspen homes for sale between $200k and $300k
- Aspen homes for sale between $300k and $400k
- Aspen homes for sale between $400k and $500k
- Aspen homes for sale between $500k and $600k
- Aspen homes for sale between $600k and $700k
- Aspen homes for sale between $700k and $800k
- Aspen homes for sale between $800k and $900k
- Aspen homes for sale between $900k and $1 million
- Aspen homes for sale over $1 million