7 Strategies for Controlling Allergies in Your New House
If you or someone in your family suffers from allergies, spend some time thinking about how to turn your new house into a trigger-free haven. The following are a few suggestions to keep everyone breathing easier:
- After the former residents have moved out, hire a professional service to clean the place top to bottom. (You may be able to negotiate for the seller to arrange and pay for this as part of your purchasing agreement.) This action helps eliminate dust, mold, pet dander, and other irritants.
- Consider removing carpeting at your new abode in favor of bare floors. If not an option (or you simply prefer keeping it), invest in a HEPA-filtered vacuum cleaner that has been certified as asthma and allergy friendly.
- Improve air quality by buying air cleaners. If choosing to place in only certain rooms, bedrooms of allergy sufferers are a wise choice since people spend about a third of their time sleeping. While you’re at it, put in a new furnace filter specifically made to reduce allergens.
- As part of your home inspection, make sure ventilation fans in bathrooms get tested. Putting them on during showers reduces mold-friendly moisture.
- Favor blinds or shades for windows. If going with curtains, pick something that can be taken down easily and cleaned in your washing machine regularly.
- Use the move as a chance for your kids to weed through their stuffed animals, which tend to harbor dust mites. Put the ones that are coming along in a hot dryer for 20 minutes to zap mites.
- Install doormats inside and outside of your new home to encourage people to wipe shoes before proceeding. Consider removing your shoes and leaving them near the entrance as a way to reduce spreading outside allergens throughout the house.
Are You Selling or Buying a Home in Aspen?
If you’re ready to sell your home in Aspen, Woody Creek, Basalt, Carbondale or Snowmass, we may be able to help you.
Get in touch with us right now to find out how much your home is worth – and discover how we’ll be able to help you sell it quickly and for top dollar.
If you’re also looking for a home for sale in Aspen or a nearby community, check out our listings by price:
- $200k to $300k
- $300k to $400k
- $400k to $500k
- $500k to $600k
- $600k to $700k
- $700k to $800k
- $800k to $900k
- $900k to $1 million
- Over $1 million